What To Know About Car Accident Reports in Torrance, CA

What To Know About Car Accident Reports in Torrance, CA

A vehicle collision can leave you understandably rattled. When injuries, fatalities, or damages over a certain amount occur in a car, truck, or motorcycle accident in California, you (or your insurance agent or legal representation) must file the appropriate paperwork.

This could start with detailing your experience for local or California Highway Patrol (CHP) officers at the scene, as well as filing forms with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). What do these forms contain, and why are they so important? Here’s what you need to know about car accident reports in Torrance, CA.

What To Do After an Accident

Whether your accident was caused by a drunk driver, distracted driving, or another vehicle speeding or running a red light, you need to take steps to protect yourself. The first thing you should do is call 911 and determine whether you need medical help.

If you’re able, you should check with others involved and see if they need help. You should then start to gather evidence, including names and contact information for anyone involved, including witnesses.

Document the scene by taking photos and jotting down notes about the accident while the memory is fresh in your mind. If you are unable to do these things due to injury, ask a passenger in your vehicle or a witness at the scene for assistance.

What Is a CHP 555 Traffic Collision Report?

If an accident occurs on city roadways, local law enforcement officers who show up at the scene will fill out a police report. If it happens on the highway, CHP may respond and create a CHP 555 Traffic Collision Report. This report is several pages long.

The first page includes information about the location of the accident and the parties and vehicles involved. The second page details property damage and notable factors that may have contributed to the accident, such as roadway conditions, the state of the car and driver, and details of what happened before the accident occurred.

Page three of the report is for documenting injuries of passengers and witnesses, and the final page is reserved for a factual diagram with the approximate layout of the accident scene.

What Is an SR-1 Report?

In addition to police or CHP reports, an SR-1 report must be filed with the DMV within 10 days of an accident involving any injury, fatality, or property damage over $1,000. 

The first page includes information about the driver and/or vehicle owner, the other party involved (driver and/or vehicle owner), and injuries, fatalities, or property damage that occurred. The second page is for adding insurance information. You must sign and date the report to certify that all statements are true and correct.

Why It’s So Important To File Accident Reports

You are required by law to file certain reports in the state of California when someone is injured in a car or truck accident, a fatality occurs, or damage exceeds a set amount. However, accurate reporting is also important in proving fault in an accident.

An accident report is essential if you’re not at fault and find yourself fighting insurance providers for fair compensation to cover medical and other expenses. If you think an accident report is inaccurate or you’re having trouble filing required reports, a qualified attorney can guide you through the process and help ensure that everything is in order.

Contact the California Car Accident Lawyers at The Simon Law Group Today

For more information, please contact an experienced car accident lawyer at The Simon Law Group to schedule a free initial consultation today. We have three convenient locations in California, including Torrance, Hermosa Beach, and Santa Ana, CA. We also have offices in Phoenix, AZ, and Austin, TX.

We proudly serve Los Angeles County and Orange County, CA, and its surrounding areas:

The Simon Law Group – Torrance, CA Office
2916 W 164th St Second Floor,
Torrance, CA 90504
(424) 622-0812 

The Simon Law Group – Hermosa Beach, CA Office
34 Hermosa Ave,
Hermosa Beach, CA 90254
(424) 722-3209

The Simon Law Group – Santa Ana, CA Office
1327 N Broadway,
Santa Ana, CA 92706
(714) 581-8546